"Listen to the words that others can't speak; speak the words that others can't hear."

Friday, March 19, 2010

Mission Accomplished.

Spring Break is almost over and I'm sitting here wishing it could last forever. First off I have to say that I accomplished what I wanted to accomplish over Spring Break. Happiness.

I did a ton of thinking and 'figuring out'. I realized that I don't belong in Plano, TX. Don't get me wrong, it's an amazing city, and I am forever grateful that I started up here, but I don't belong here. I don't know where I belong, but I know it' snot this place. I belong some place where everyone knows each other and relies on each other. One where high school education is enough to give you a voice, where people count on how smart you are, not your level of education... Again, don't misinterpret what I'm saying, college is my number one priority (aside from family, God, etc.) but it most definitely wasn't for my parents. They went to college, just never finished. Plano is not a place for them either. Plano is a place for big CEO's and people that make money without even trying.

I don't belong in such a snobby city. I presently work for Wal-Mart, a company known for its weird people and for supposedly being a sweatshop. I'll admit that I'm sure some stores are like that, the one I work for defeats that stereotype a million times over. Iget paid over nine dollars an hour. I know that's not too much, but if you think about the fact that they will not even allow me to get near the dumpster, cardboard compactor, trucks, or sell alcohol or cigarettes because I'm not 18 yet, that is more than enough money. I stand at a register and move my arm back and forth while talking to the brats that I have to consider "...first. Always."

Plano is just not my kind of city and customers are definitely not always first. Sorry Wal-Mart, but in case of a fire I'm saving my ass before anyone else's, I have bigger and better things to do in my life. None of it involves Wal-Mart or Plano.

On the other hand, I've met the greatest people while living here, people that have taught me to live my life to the fullest and have helped me to survive. Many of which have actually lived their entire lives here, some that are ment to live here. Some I've met because they've been down and out in the same situation as me, others through my church and many through the schools I've gone to, and in all honesty, I truly don't think that I would be alive right now if I hadn't met these people. For that reason, I am eternally grateful for this city.

Either way, this place has taught me countless life lessons that shape the person I hope to someday be. The person that I'm working on becoming.

On to a different subject, but hang in here with me because I promise it all comes together in the end.

I did a lot of 'friending' during this Spring Break. I've been told that when you're feeling down you shouldn't stay all cooped up in your house because that only makes you feel worse.. Makes perfect sense I guess. (:

So other than bike rides and just hanging out with friends I also went bowling with the 'everything skit team'. ...That's what we call ourselves but really we've all just become great friends, almost like brothers and sisters. Anyways, after bowling we decided to go to IHOP. It was... interesting to say the least, not to mention the fact that there was a group of three adults and seven children (all under 8) eating there at one in the morning...?

BUT, where I was going with that was that somewhere in the middle of throwing straw wrappers and picture taking someone said something profound. Who would have thought that a group of college bound teenagers would have anything meaningful to talk about. I can't remember who said it or what led them to saying it, but I'm glad that they did.

Life is easier when you're a good person... You actually have to try to be bad, but when you just live your life the way God made you, you're bound to be a great person and have an easy life. It doesn't really matter what you do in life... If you're here to wash dishes, then love washing those dishes and do it to your best potential; life is much better that way.

At that moment, and I don't know why, I thought of working at Wal-Mart. I realized that I like my job right now because I make the most out of it. I enjoy hearing the stories about all the rich and famous people they've met, but I especially enjoy the ones that come from the crazies... Those people make my life so much better. I like almost everyone I work with and try to have some fun even with the ones that get on my last nerve.

People have asked me how I get by so easily. Truth is that I don't, not at all. Life is not easy unless you make it easy. I don't like where I live or even how I live parts of my life, but one thing I strive to remember to do is follow God and wake up every morning thinking "Today is going to be a good day". ...And on the days that aren't so great I go to bed thinking that 'there's always tomorrow'.


"Life is easier when you're a good person... You actually have to try to be bad, but when you just live your life the way God made you...life is much better that way."

~from a wise teenager sitting at an Ihop at 1am.


No comments:

Post a Comment